H.Parsons’ Family History
Our family association with the Illawarra began on 24th April 1839 when Matthew and Puah Parsons arrived in Wollongong by horse and dray via Mount Keira Road.
In 1849 Matthew and Puah’s sixth child Henry was born in Fairy Meadow, and at the age of 44, he purchased William Hudson Funerals then located at 153 Keira Street, Wollongong. Henry relocated the company to 135 Keira Street, Wollongong and changed the name to ‘H.Parsons Funeral Directors’ Builder and Undertaker. When Henry Parsons passed away in 1933 his twelfth child Alfred Reuben acquired the company. Alfred redeveloped the 135 Keira Street site in 1935, and the building remains there today. In 1950, at the age of 15, Alfred Reuben’s third child John Henry Parsons commenced work with the company. One year later, H.Parsons purchased Billy Williams Funeral Directors located on the corner of Princes Highway and Organs Road, Bulli. By 1981, H.Parsons had established an excellent reputation within the Illawarra community and saw the need to open a third funeral home in Woolworths Avenue, Warilla, to better service the company’s southern Illawarra clients.
Alfred Reuben passed away in 1992 with the knowledge that his family’s legacy was safe in the hands of his son, John and grandsons, Mark and Alan. The fourth and newest H.Parsons funeral home was opened in 2004, on the corner of Princes Highway and Unara Road, Dapto. Beautifully appointed and spacious, the Dapto funeral home is ideally situated close to Wollongong Lawn Cemetery, Lakeside Memorial Park, and Wollongong City Memorial Gardens. John Parsons devoted his life to the success of his family’s business, and worked around the clock to ensure that the needs of families in the Illawarra were met. He continued to run H.Parsons with the help of sons Mark and Alan until he sadly passed away on February 28th 2011. Today, the fourth generation of Parsons, Alan, upholds the H.Parsons legacy to serve the Illawarra and surrounds with integrity, honesty and compassion.